5 Tasty Apple Recipes
Feeling inspired by The Great British Bake Off? Fancy baking or cooking something a little bit different this weekend? Well, you're in luck, as below we've selected 5 recipes, mostly desserts but also a savory, which are all delicious and unique. Plus, as it's National Apple Day, they all require apples!
Apple, Cinnamon & Fudge Muffins.
The perfect muffins to enjoy in Autumn and Winter.
A fairly simple recipe but with a really tasty result. A great idea if you're hoping to enjoy some baking with children this weekend and fancy whipping up something a little different. Plus, it's a creative way to sneak a little bit more fruit into their daily intake...
Ingredients (Makes 9 Muffins)
- 200g Plain Flour
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 50g Soft Brown Sugar
- 2 1/2 tsps. of Baking Powder
- Pinch Of Salt
- 1 generous tsp of Ground Cinnamon
- 90ml Semi Skimmed Milk
- 80ml Vegetable Oil
- 1 Large Egg, beaten
- 5 drops of vanilla essence of 1 tsp or vanilla paste
- 2 large eating apples, peeled, cored and chopped into cubes
- Mini fudge pieces
- Icing sugar
The Bailey Family Apple Cake.
Perfect for an alternative to chocolate and jam cakes.
- 4oz/115g Demerara Sugar
- 4oz/115g Butter
- 8oz/230g Self Raising Flour
- 8oz/230g Cooking Apples
- 1 Teaspoon Mixed Spice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2/3 Eggs (depending on size)
- 8 Inch Baking Tin
- Greaseproof Paper
Baked Apples Stuffed with Sage Beef & Rice.
A delicious savory twist.
A fantastic choice if you're looking to make something completely different! This recipe takes a little longer than the others as there's a few steps so try to make this when you have a full afternoon or day. However, it will certainly impress others as it's a original and visually pleasing. Ingredients:
- 2 oz long grain rice
- 4 large apples
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- more seasoning for meat
- 1+3/4 cold water
- 3 sage leaves cut into small pieces, plus 4 whole leaves for garnish
- 1+3/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pinch white granulated sugar
To view the full recipe head over to Diary of a Mad Hausfrau blog here.
Gluten-free buckwheat pancakes with honey, cinnamon and apple compote.
Try something different with your pancakes.
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz melted butter
Ingredients for compote:
- 8 sweet apples, like Golden Delicious
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- Peel, core and cut apples into wedges or chunks, depending on preference.
- Combine all ingredients except apples in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add apples and reduce heat to low, simmering until the apples are very tender and the mixture has thickened.
- Let cool and serve over pancakes at room temperature.
Thank you to Kristia Paz pastry chef at Atlanta's One Eared Stag, for supplying us with this fantastic recipe!
Salted Caramel – Apple Knickerbocker Glory
The ultimate ice cream.
Impress your guests and friends with this heavenly ice cream recipe! There are a lot of different steps with this recipe so you would probably need a little bit of time to make this, definitely a good recipe to have a go at on a weekend.
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 5 tablespoons of butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of sea salt
Ingredients for the Apple Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon minced lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup apple butter
Ingredients for Apple Compote:
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) of butter
- 2 cups of diced, peeled granny smith apples
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 2 shots of Applejack or Calvados (optional)
Ingredients for Basic Vanilla Custard Ice Cream:
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
To view the full recipe for this recipe head over to The Culinary Exchange Blog here.