March 26 is Make Up Your Own Holiday Day, believe it or not!
Find out what this day is all about, how you can make your very own holiday day and some of the strangest holidays…
Where did this day originate from?
This day was apparently created by the Wellness Permission League, but we’re not actually sure if this is true! It seems to be a holiday that everyone loves and everyone promotes, which is pretty cool 🙂
Easy steps to make your own holiday
- Come up with a great idea – There’s the weird and wonderful holidays, the cute holidays, the fun holidays and then there’s the holidays which represent positive worldwide change, such as World Water Day. Consider what you personally feel passionate about and have some knowledge on. It can be something really funny, silly or something more serious. It’s entirely up to you!
- Get in touch with your local representative – If you want to make an official holiday then you will need to get in touch with your local representative. Alternatively, you could try to make your holiday credible and newsworthy to get the attention of your mayor or the council for your town or city.
- Make a local or national event for the day – Get the word out about your holiday by throwing a local or even national event for everyone to join in.
- Get Social – Come up with a hashtag for your holiday and use it on all of your marketing materials. For example, if you throw an event then pop the hashtag on all leaflets, get friends and family to use it on their social media pages, put it on posters etc. If you end up trending on Twitter then this could take your holiday from being a local event to a national or even international one!
- Get in touch with National Holiday websites – There are a few really interesting websites which act as a cool calendar, filled with all those weird and wonderful National Holidays. They’re really interesting to read through for some inspiration and you could try to get your holiday on their website too? Even if it’s not an official holiday.
Here are some great websites to submit your holiday to:
Some rather unusual National Holidays
- Chocolate-covered Cherry Day – 3rd Jan
- Learn Your Name In Morse Code Day – 11th Jan
- Read In The Bathtub Day – 9th Feb
- Don’t Cry Over Spilled Milk Day – 11th Feb
- Repeat Day – 3rd June
- Repeat Day – 3rd June (Wait, it’s only March…)
- Compliment your mirror day – 3rd July
- Pet Rock Day – 4th Sept
- Wonderful Weirdos Day – 9th Sept
This is a personal favourite…
- Inconvenience Yourself Day – 24th Feb
Some upcoming dates to note
- Walk Around Things Day – 4th April
- Deep Dish Pizza Day – 5th April
- Lumpy Rug Day – 3rd May
- No Homework Day – 6th May
What holidays would we make…
OK so we had a bit of chat about this and these are the days we’re thinking of owning!
- Tiger Shed Appreciation Day
- Love your shed day
- Hug a shed day
What holidays would you make?
If you have a cool idea then let us know @TigerSheds and share this post!