Feeling inspired by The Great British Bake Off? Fancy baking or cooking something a little bit different this weekend?
Well, you’re in luck, as below we’ve selected 5 recipes, mostly desserts but also a savory, which are all delicious and unique. Plus, as it’s National Apple Day, they all require apples!
Apple, Cinnamon & Fudge Muffins.
The perfect muffins to enjoy in Autumn and Winter.
A fairly simple recipe but with a really tasty result.
A great idea if you’re hoping to enjoy some baking with children this weekend and fancy whipping up something a little different. Plus, it’s a creative way to sneak a little bit more fruit into their daily intake…
Ingredients (Makes 9 Muffins)
- 200g Plain Flour
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 50g Soft Brown Sugar
- 2 1/2 tsps. of Baking Powder
- Pinch Of Salt
- 1 generous tsp of Ground Cinnamon
- 90ml Semi Skimmed Milk
- 80ml Vegetable Oil
- 1 Large Egg, beaten
- 5 drops of vanilla essence of 1 tsp or vanilla paste
- 2 large eating apples, peeled, cored and chopped into cubes
- Mini fudge pieces
- Icing sugar
View the full recipe over on the Life With Mrs Lee blog here.
The Bailey Family Apple Cake.
Perfect for an alternative to chocolate and jam cakes.
This cake is the perfect partner to a nice cup of tea!
If you’re hoping to have a whirl at a cake recipe this weekend then try out a delicious apple cake!
- 4oz/115g Demerara Sugar
- 4oz/115g Butter
- 8oz/230g Self Raising Flour
- 8oz/230g Cooking Apples
- 1 Teaspoon Mixed Spice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2/3 Eggs (depending on size)
- 8 Inch Baking Tin
- Greaseproof Paper
View the full recipe over on The Life of JKS blog here.
Baked Apples Stuffed with Sage Beef & Rice.
A delicious savory twist.
A fantastic choice if you’re looking to make something completely different!
This recipe takes a little longer than the others as there’s a few steps so try to make this when you have a full afternoon or day. However, it will certainly impress others as it’s a original and visually pleasing.
- 2 oz long grain rice
- 4 large apples
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- more seasoning for meat
- 1+3/4 cold water
- 3 sage leaves cut into small pieces, plus 4 whole leaves for garnish
- 1+3/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pinch white granulated sugar
To view the full recipe head over to Diary of a Mad Hausfrau blog here.
Gluten-free buckwheat pancakes with honey, cinnamon and apple compote.
Try something different with your pancakes.
A really delicious gluten-free choice!
These pancakes would go down a treat on a weekend morning, especially if you fancy something which you haven’t tried before.
Ingredients for pancakes:
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz melted butter
Ingredients for compote:
- 8 sweet apples, like Golden Delicious
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- Peel, core and cut apples into wedges or chunks, depending on preference.
- Combine all ingredients except apples in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add apples and reduce heat to low, simmering until the apples are very tender and the mixture has thickened.
- Let cool and serve over pancakes at room temperature.
Thank you to Kristia Paz pastry chef at Atlanta’s One Eared Stag, for supplying us with this fantastic recipe!
Salted Caramel – Apple Knickerbocker Glory
The ultimate ice cream.
Impress your guests and friends with this heavenly ice cream recipe!
There are a lot of different steps with this recipe so you would probably need a little bit of time to make this, definitely a good recipe to have a go at on a weekend.
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 5 tablespoons of butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of sea salt
Ingredients for the Apple Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon minced lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup apple butter
Ingredients for Apple Compote:
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) of butter
- 2 cups of diced, peeled granny smith apples
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 2 shots of Applejack or Calvados (optional)
Ingredients for Basic Vanilla Custard Ice Cream:
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
To view the full recipe for this recipe head over to The Culinary Exchange Blog here.